Kostantinos "Kostas" Sakkas

Kostas was born in Maroussi, Attica, grew up in Piraeus and is a student at the Agricultural School of Athens.

Nea Smirni case

He was arrested on December 4, 2010 together with Alexandros Mitrousias on Kaisareias Street in Nea Smyrni, by a group of the anti-terrorist service of the Hellenic Police, at the moment they were leaving a rented warehouse, where weapons were found. After his arrest, he refused to sign the defendant's examination report. He was referred to apologize to the investigator on the charges of forming and participating in a terrorist organization, of unknown name, inciting terrorist acts, distinguished possession of weapons as well as supply and possession of explosives. He was remanded in custody in Nafplio prison and then in Korydallos. During his pre-trial detention, his case was linked to that of the "Conspiracy of the Nuclei of Fire," of which he denied being a member. Two months before the completion of the pre-trial detention limit of 18 months, a new criminal prosecution was instituted for related offenses, with the result that his pre-trial detention was extended again by 12 months. After 12 months and despite the completion of the 30-month pre-trial detention period, without the completion of the trial for the first case and without the commencement of the trial for the second case, the Board of Appeals decided to extend it for another six months, an unprecedented and unique action for the Greek system.

Following the decision of the Board of Appeals, Sakkas, on June 4, 2013, started a hunger strike to protest the illegal extension of his pre-trial detention. After 14 days of hunger strike, and after health problems arose, he was transferred from Korydallos prison to the General State Hospital of Nice. Sakka's lawyer appealed against the decision of the Board of Appeals, but her objections were rejected by a majority of the board.

The violation of the maximum pre-trial detention of a defendant without a trial provoked strong reactions from a significant portion of politicians, academics, journalists and lawyers, while dozens of rallies were held in various parts of Greece. The foreign press also dealt with the case. The Thessaloniki Bar Association issued a statement calling on the prosecutor's office and the judiciary to implement the Constitution and the laws, while condemning the violation of the maximum detention limits, while Amnesty International expressed its concern about the continuation of the pre-trial detention. Regarding this issue, MEP Nikos Chountis, in his position in the European Parliament, requested the intervention of the Commission, while for the same issue, a meeting of the SYRIZA MPs with the Minister of Justice, Charalambos Athanassiou, had taken place.

On July 11, the Board of Appeals decided to release Sakkas, imposing strict restrictive conditions, including a ban on leaving the prefecture of Attica, etc. Following the decision of the Board of Appeals, he stopped the hunger strike during which he had lost 16 kilos.

On January 7, 2014, he was arrested for violating the restrictive conditions imposed on him, but he was acquitted by a majority by the Autophorous Three-Member Criminal Court. The prosecutor appealed against the decision of the Three-Member Misdemeanor Court, but Sakkas was acquitted again. He was re-arrested on January 15 following a new warrant for his involvement in a terrorist organization. According to the police, after a new examination, his fingerprint was detected in evidence that had been found in an apartment kept by Sakka's co-accused, in Chalandri. After his testimony to the investigator, he was released on the same restrictive conditions and the imposition of a financial guarantee of five thousand euros.

On February 10 of the same year, he did not appear at the Kaminia police station as he should have, according to the restrictive conditions imposed on him, as a result of which he was declared wanted by the police.

In January 2015, he was sentenced in absentia by the three-member Athens Criminal Court of Appeals to a total of 16 years in prison for joining a terrorist organization ("Conspiracy of the Nuclei of Fire") and other offenses. On August 5, 2016, after a chase, he was arrested in Sparta together with the also wanted Mario Seisidis. He was convicted in the Court of Appeals for possession of a firearm (ten years in prison), but was acquitted of all charges related to joining and participating in a terrorist organization. He was sentenced to 2 years and 9 months for using forged documents and car registration plates, car theft and disobedience to authorities.

Current case

On June 12, 2019, he was arrested again in an attempted robbery on a money transfer vehicle at the AHEPA hospital in Thessaloniki along with Giannis Dimitrakis, convicted of armed robbery in 2006, and Dimitra Syrianou. They were caught by cops of the counter-terrorism unit just when they were getting in their car to leave from the spot. Leading up to trial, there were searches in their houses and many personal things have been taken. The media created a wave of terror.

In June 2020 he was acquitted in the case of the robbery at the National Bank in Distomo that took place on August 22, 2014, the establishment and participation in a criminal organization and all other charges. In September of the same year, he was sentenced to 7 years and 10 months in prison for attempted robbery at AHEPA. He is currently being held in the Korydallos detention center.




Projected Release Date: 

Feb 13, 2038

Mailing Address: 

Kostas Sakkas
Dikastiki Filaki Koridallou
A'PTERYGA (A'wing)
TK 18110 Athens